Thursday, September 28, 2006

Day Two - 68 miles



Day two - 68 miles - not the hundred I wanted BUT I will have Jean transport me and the bike back to the stopping point and start there so I do get the full 540 miles in!!

Day two started out pretty nice - sunny, bright day no wind. How things change!! The wind was starting to pick up. Coming straight on! I had been going between 16 and 17.5 mph when I was slammed with the head winds. Now the best I could do was 9 and 11 mph. This kind of situation doe not make for a happy camper - Uh, I mean bicyclist!!
I fought the wind for most of the day. I did change direction but not force. Now it was coming out of the west. I got some reprieve - I finally had some trees lining the west side of the road blocking the wind - back up to 17.5!! Except when there was an opening!

They were calling for severe thunderstorms and I had talked to Dep. Chief Scott Smith over the phone (BFD weather central), and he said there was a "red blob" from Terre Haute, IN extending down at an angle through Illinois, coming right for me! I finally called it a day - beat from the frustration of not getting to my destination for the day and beat from having to fight the wind.

I didn't quit any time too soon!! Kristina - my daughter, and I loaded up the bike and started south to Vienna, IL, only 32 miles away. About 5 miles down the road we started seeing lightning and getting hit with higher winds. Another 5 miles and we started getting rain!


Short Update:
This evening I had a surpise! My sister from Pekin, IL and a lady from her church showed up at the hotel where we stayed in Vienna, IL . Pekin is near Peoria, IL. . They had quite a trip also -- Thank you for taking the time to wish your old brother well wishes!!! Thanks for coming with her Shirley!!


Thanks for visiting and please feel free to leave a comment!

Chuck